Monterrey dating

Larkin House, built in 1849 by Walter Colton, was originally both a public school and government meeting place.Monterey hosted California's first constitutional convention in 1849, which composed the documents necessary to apply to the United States for statehood.Fages became the second governor of Alta California, serving from 1770 to 1774.

The party continued north as far as San Francisco Bay before turning back.

On the return journey, they camped near one of Monterey's lagoons on November 27, still not convinced they had found the place Vizcaino had described.

It is also the oldest (and smallest) serving cathedral along with St. It is the only existing presidio chapel in California and the only surviving building from the original Monterey Presidio.

The city was originally the only port of entry for all taxable goods in California.

On 24 November 1818 Argentine corsair Hippolyte Bouchard landed 7 km (4.3 mi) away from the Presidio of Monterey in a hidden creek.

The fort resisted ineffectively, and after an hour of combat the Argentine flag flew over it.All other uses of the name Monterey derive from Vizcaino's name for the bay.Variants of the city's name (from the Spanish Monterrey) are recorded as Monte Rey and Montery.Today it houses a small museum, while adjacent buildings serve as the seat of local government, and the Monterey post office (opened in 1849).Monterey had long been famous for the abundant fishery in Monterey Bay.The city and surrounding area have attracted artists since the late 19th century and many celebrated painters and writers have lived there. Among Monterey's notable present-day attractions are the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Fisherman's Wharf and the annual Monterey Jazz Festival.

Tags: , ,